View Single Post

December 29th, 2012, 15:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
As if Oblivion, etc., are more realistic to how people actually speak?

But yeah, I hear what you're saying. It would be nice if every NPC could have his or her own voice. It still wouldn't make a big difference to me personally, but I know a lot of people place significant importance on voice acting.
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Immersion is a no go. Enough fantasy books written to tell for certain that people can reach their immersion thanks to written material.

Voice acting might serve a day if they manage to get a bot reading all the pieces.

For the moment, it is only a burden that brings limitations to designers, developpers etc

For the HF Skyrim DLC, they forgot to voice over certain women (the orcs) so they do not have all the options brought by other women when married.

Hard to patch with voices, very easy to do with text.
I don't see how you can compare the two, one is only delivered with written text, if books where so amazing and everyone thought that was the best way to experience something, there would be no point in movies or tv shows. Games are both visual and auditory and interactive. The majority of people prefer voiced dialog because it natural, you see a person and you talk to them and they talk to you, it just makes senses. Written dialog was a limitation of the times, just like black and white film or silent film, we have moved beyond that and I am very happy. I hope to further improved tec to make game experience like TES even more immersive, more like the holodeck. Perhaps one day we can have voice work and unlimited dialog, that would be awesome, but its one step at a time.

I am free because I choose to be so-me

Kefka

Watchdog