View Single Post

December 31st, 2012, 11:09
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
@DArtagnan,

Most difficulty modes are a total afterthought, there just stat adjustments so I disagree that is would have any effect on the game. Easy mode, 50% more dmg done, or 50% less dmg taken, whatever very simple. Of course this is all hypothetical because if they did have easy mode(and hard mode as well) you could argue that we might never know if they had an effect or not on the design process.
I don't really feel like going in endless circles here.

But, I'll try again.

You can't just expect Dark Souls to work as an experience with a 50% reduction in terms of damage done or taken. A lot of the challenge in the game is not about damage, but about timing and outright death. If you don't die when you make a mistake - when that's what's supposed to happen - you risk never being in any real danger. Everything is carefully tuned to make you die or put you in serious risk.

Easy mode could end up being a god mode and it wouldn't actually be a good thing for anyone.

I don't think the game is a good fit for an easy mode. If people don't want to die when they make a mistake, then it's simply not the game they should play.

However, if they REALLY want a sloppily implemented easy mode that won't affect the pure experience on normal mode - then I don't mind it. I just don't really believe that's what they want. Frankly, I think people want an easy mode because they don't respect or even want the kind of game Dark Souls really is. So, just stay away from it - would be my advice.

As for making games just for my taste, actually I don't want them to do what is best for me but best for everyone, my taste can be quite odd, if TES games where made just how I wanted them they might not make nearly as much money and TES cost a lot to make they need that money. So what I want them and all game makers to do is make modding more accessible then everyone wins. For example Dark Soul's for me I can play modded yay! And TES games I can mold into basically my perfect rpg(or as close as is probable going to happen).
No, that's not what you seem to actually want. I've tried explaining why making games for everyone would likely reduce the quality for a significant portion of the audience - myself included. I've also tried explaining that what people seem to want - will not always result in something they actually want, and this becomes more true as you try to target people with less experience in game design.

Modding is great - but it's not a trivial thing to develop for. I think it's something every developer should keep in mind, but I don't want it to compromise the development process or end up as the wrong priority for development.

Ideally, I'd rather want a pure experience than a watered down experience that is easy to mod. That's because I don't think mods can easily repair a broken vision.

But, anyway, this is becoming cyclical. We obviously don't agree about how easy it is to implement difficulty modes - and you don't agree that targeting everyone is a potentially big problem. That's fair enough - and we don't have to agree.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential