View Single Post

January 1st, 2013, 03:52
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Maybe you should just read the thread and all the posts, including mine, that go into detail about the potential problems with an easy mode. Then, you don't have to speculate or conjure up a fantasy where I'm ardently against an easy mode.
Lots of people ardently oppose an easy mode all over the internet. I quoted you, but by "people who ardently oppose an easy mode" I meant just that, not you in particular.

I have read all the posts. And I don't buy any of your arguments against an easy mode. Take this one for instance:

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You can't just expect Dark Souls to work as an experience with a 50% reduction in terms of damage done or taken. A lot of the challenge in the game is not about damage, but about timing and outright death.
What "works" for you "as an experience" does not work the same way for everybody.

Have you read my posts? This one, for instance:

Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
Many have stated that the difficulty is an inherent part of the design of Dark Souls, essential to the experience the developers intended for the player. (Prepare to die, right?) And I agree.

But what is difficulty in a game like this? How do you measure it? Actually, it can be easily measured in deaths and attempts.

Take any given obstacle in the game. This is a game where death is a natural ingredient; you are supposed to die and retry. How many times should you die and retry before you overcome a particular obstacle? What experience did the developers intend?

I don't know. But let's assume that if you defeat a particular enemy on the first try without dying, then the game is too easy for you, because the developer's intention was for you to experience three or four deaths there. Then, if you die ten times, the game is too hard for you, for the same reason.

My point is that the developers can't possibly control the player experience, because it's individual. Nor should they. The difference between interactive entertainment and movies, is that a game lets the player control their own experience to some extent, while movies are all about the director controlling the experience.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog