View Single Post

January 1st, 2013, 13:16
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I'm not talking about my experience - but the experience the developers intend for the players to have. That's the experience I respect more than you do.
If you had read my posts, you would know that it's impossible for developers to control player experience in most cases. And I don't think they should either, because players generally don't like it. One example is Valve's Left 4 Dead, where the game adjusts the ammount of ammo you find based upon how much ammo you hoard or waste, because the developers intend for they player to almost run out of ammo. If the developers of Dark Souls intend a certain level of difficulty, they need to control it dynamically, which players tend to dislike.

No, I haven't read your posts. I've made it clear that I've said my piece - and I have no interest in convincing people who don't agree.
Nice of you to admit that you haven't read my posts. I find it rather impolite not to read the posts of others before replying, though.

I certainly don't "buy" your argument, and until you start making sense, that won't change
Please quote where I don't make sense, and I'll try to explain my position further. I'm not all that interested in convincing people either, but I would at least like to make sense.

It's not about controlling the experience - but about setting a high level of demand on the player, because it's part of the vision.
That's exactly why the "one size fits all" approach doesn't work. How "high" is a high level of demand? How do you measure it? And how do you control it?

That doesn't mean that there aren't players out there who're so good that they won't struggle as much - or that a lot of players will struggle more.
Exactly. And my point is that the individual player is in a much better position to judge the game's difficulty and adjust it to their own ability or taste, than the developer is.

But human capacity to predict dangers without knowing what to expect is naturally limited - so the experience will be similar to everyone no matter how much you try to call it an individual thing.
Since the placement of traps and enemies is static in Dark Souls, everybody knows exactly what to expect after a few deaths. Player capacity to predict danger is unlimited and equal. But player capacity to overcome the known obstacles will vary a great deal.

I like the vision of Dark Souls, but even if I didn't - I'd defend the artist's right to create his art as he wants and not as the players might want - and Dark Souls is about as close to art as you can get in this business oriented industry.
Much of the appeal of Dark Souls has to do with mystery and discovery. But players can read all about every secret before even playing the game, thanks to online wikis and forums. To me that destroys the game much more, but it's impossible to control.

Of course artists have the right to create whatever art they want, but trying to control how their art is experienced and appreciated is futile. And because this is a business oriented industry, it's also stupid.

Mr Smiley

Watchdog