View Single Post

January 1st, 2013, 23:09
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
If you had read my posts, you would know that it's impossible for developers to control player experience in most cases. And I don't think they should either, because players generally don't like it. One example is Valve's Left 4 Dead, where the game adjusts the ammount of ammo you find based upon how much ammo you hoard or waste, because the developers intend for they player to almost run out of ammo. If the developers of Dark Souls intend a certain level of difficulty, they need to control it dynamically, which players tend to dislike.
You mean by reading your posts - I get some kind of magical truth that you control?

No, your opinion is that developers shouldn't intend for players to have a certain kind of experience - and I disagree. I have no interest in reading your past posts - as I find the discussion cyclical and boring enough already.

I'd like it to be over, and I don't think we'll agree to anything about this.

Nice of you to admit that you haven't read my posts. I find it rather impolite not to read the posts of others before replying, though.
So, because you decide to quote me and talk about people being against easy modes - you expect me to read through all your posts? Are you on drugs?

Expecting people to read all your posts because you decide to respond to one of mine, is not only impolite - it's also incredibly arrogant.

Please quote where I don't make sense, and I'll try to explain my position further. I'm not all that interested in convincing people either, but I would at least like to make sense.
You're not making sense by talking about controlling the experience of the players - because that's not the issue. The issue is that they want players to have a certain kind of experience - but they don't want to control it for them. How people solve the problems or approach anything in the game is beyond their control - just as it should be. They just provide the game - and then it's out of their hands.

YOU are the one trying to control the developers and tell them how they should design their games - because YOU think it's reasonable.

That's exactly why the "one size fits all" approach doesn't work. How "high" is a high level of demand? How do you measure it? And how do you control it?
You tune it however you see fit as a developer, and when you think it's appropriately challenging - you're finished. I have no idea how they arrived at the balance - but it strikes me as pretty perfect in terms of balance. At least, based on my time with Demon's Souls.

Exactly. And my point is that the individual player is in a much better position to judge the game's difficulty and adjust it to their own ability or taste, than the developer is.
So, the player who has no involvement at all with the development process and has no knowledge about what the experience should be, is in a better position to balance the game for himself?

It's like telling a director that he should not have sex scenes - because some people don't enjoy that. But if the director thinks it's appropriate to the experience, I think he should include them. People who don't like that - can give the movie a bad review or stay away. But the rest of us want the movie as it was always intended to be.

Since the placement of traps and enemies is static in Dark Souls, everybody knows exactly what to expect after a few deaths. Player capacity to predict danger is unlimited and equal. But player capacity to overcome the known obstacles will vary a great deal.
Player capacity to predict danger is unlimited? Now you're not making sense again. Much of the game is about being careful - and it's intended that if you're not capable of being careful, you should die. That's the experience they intend for you to have.

Much of the appeal of Dark Souls has to do with mystery and discovery. But players can read all about every secret before even playing the game, thanks to online wikis and forums. To me that destroys the game much more, but it's impossible to control.
Ehm, your point being?

Of course artists have the right to create whatever art they want, but trying to control how their art is experienced and appreciated is futile. And because this is a business oriented industry, it's also stupid.
It's not futile in my opinion, and I'm very happy the developers agree with me. That you think it's futile - and you think caring more about the integrity of the art than maximising profit is stupid, tells me all I need to know about you and your position.

Anyway, I've had enough of repeating myself. There's nothing new here - and I don't feel like starting over constantly.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential