View Single Post

January 3rd, 2013, 13:30
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Used to be that after a few weeks - you could get a reasonably accurate idea of the quality of a movie, but that hasn't been true for a few years. I think it started with Avatar - or am I imagining that?
It all depends on the movie and the hype … Titanic is a great example. It went from 'bestest movie EVAR' to 'fetid pile of rubbish' to 'solid but overrated' over the course of years. The Matrix sequels were also over-hyped based on the first movie, and I think THAT one has suffered by the moderation of opinion on the sequels (i.e. they weren't that bad … but the first wasn't as good either).

But I think that in movies like everything else, the death of print media and the need for clicks and some ways to generate online revenue have led to 'bought' reviews, and with public opinion you have too much 'political' stuff where some people will be giving Hobbit 10/10 based purely on it being Tolkein and Jackson … and so on. THAT sort of stuff has definitely gotten worse. Also, as shown on Facebook, Amazon and Twitter … opinions are for sale, and there are people making money selling '50 genuine 5 star reviews for $10' or whatever.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch