View Single Post

January 3rd, 2013, 22:10
Not an RPG (or game), but I have considered a Kickstarter for creating a plugin that could be used by Media Center software like XBMC or Media Portal to handle CableCards CopyOnce or CopyNever material (Via an HDHomeRun Prime or Ceton InfiniTV). The idea would be able to make a whole home DVR system.

The issue, from the research I have done, isn't that complex given that the leg work has really been on handling the guides and such within those programs already and PlayReady is licensable from MSFT. It's just a matter of creating a black-box plug-in is not (at least easily) hackable.

Ohh and the $15,000 upfront licensing fee to MSFT. Talked to a buddy of mine who's been programming for over 20 years over Christmas about it and we agreed that we think given all that, it could probably be done for between $80k and $100k, less if people volunteered their time.

The issue as to why a company has not done this themselves of course that its not a particularly profitable venture (and of course the poor industry support for CableCards). HTPC's are a niche market, and XBMC, MythTV, etc. are a niche within that niche.

For power users like myself though, I'd gladly drop down a grand or so to make it happen and free myself from the frustration of Copy-Once restrictions between connected HTPCs and the limitations of the official extenders. I think there must be at least another 100 power users out there that feel the same way.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist