View Single Post

January 4th, 2013, 16:44
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
Thank you for your suggestions.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me about the imperials and stormcloaks in Skyrim? Although I played Oblivion I never completed the main quest. Now I tried Skyrim, it's a very nice game, but I'm totally lost what happened and which side is better, imperials or stormcloaks. If you tell me about the ending of Oblivion and how the stormcloaks and Talos worship figure into it, I'd be grateful.
It's fairly complicated if you want to dig deeply, since it's got 200 years of history added since Oblivion, so you're best off reading up on some of the things on the wikia site or the UESP wiki. Just search for the group you're interested in. The events of Oblivion don't really play into things, so you don't need to worry about that. TES games don't rely on you having played earlier games in the series, and there's usually someone or something that can bring you up to date if you need some bit of information.

The short version is that elven extremists (the Thalmor) took over the Altmer homelands, waged war on the Empire, and insisted on a ban on Talos worship as part of the peace treaty. The Stormcloaks don't like this and are trying to break away from the Empire. Exactly how long the war's been going on seems to vary a lot depending on the in-game source. Some people act like it's just kicked off, others like it's been going on for years.

You're best off going around and talking to people to see which group you prefer. I have a hard time siding with the Stormcloaks, since once you get into the game they come off as short-sighted racist isolationists, and most of their main supporters come off as jerks. It's like someone insisted they set one group out to be more of a bad guy than the other.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch