View Single Post

January 11th, 2013, 03:09
Whichever direction we ultimately take it, we’ll be giving combat considerable attention – we are aware that one of the criticisms of PST (including from Avellone) was its combat and we want to improve upon that aspect. The Numenera combat system provides a stronger starting place for a cRPG than AD&D 2nd Edition did and we’ll prototype early so that we have ample time to iterate over the course of the project.

Rules-based combat systems are great and I hope they use a good one, but the specific rules chosen have never been the problem. Somebody here want to tell me that Fallout 2 had more tactical, more challenging and more interesting combat than Jagged Alliance 2? No? Well, that's certainly not the fault of D&D, is it? Doesn't really seem like rocket science to understand why devs whose game was about combat first and foremost were able to make the combat better than devs who viewed the combat as filler their storytelling game. I want both. I want it all. If I don't get it, too bad for me, but I don't want to hear all that crap I used to hear about limitations of the rule system that was being used.

CraigCWB

Sentinel