View Single Post

January 11th, 2013, 05:06
just finished Anna Karenina (the book; not the movie) and I have to say if you ever struggled with faith believing you couldn't possibly believe because you knew too much the story of Konstan Levin (like Tostoy himself) is a real eye opener. I wish I read it 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Nope, not considering. While I liked all 6 books and was bothered by the cliffhanger ending, I'm very careful with varying authors. The only such continuation of any stories I've read, which I also happened to enjoy very much, is the Wheel of Time finale.

And incidentally the very final WoT book is coming out tomorrow, A Memory of Light. I'm very tempted and would lay aside all other novels on my list for this one, but alas, only the hardcover version is scheduled for release, the E-Book version gets a 3 or 4 months delay … What a pity!
thanks for letting me know. I jsut bought it. The last time I checked it was due in March even though it was finished (but unedited) a year ago. Its not getting great reviews.

Originally Posted by The Walkin' Dude View Post
By accident I bought The Third Reich: A Chronicle. I was burnt out on 2nd WW, the book seemed light and there were no reviews on the covers, so I didn't expect much. However, the author is really, really neutral, to the extent that the book is a goldmine of information. There's also a large number of quotes and documents. This is one of the few books on the period that I have that doesn't have a variation of "There were 2 tyrannical monster states…" at the back cover.
I've been discovering a few things that the popular or official history seems to cover or gloss over: a) a recent reveal shows the Soviets didn't just give up Stalingrad like Kutuzov gave up Moscow; b) when it says that bombers dropped their bombs early, it was usually on purpose.

Originally Posted by CountChocula View Post
Just started Cosm by Gregory Benford, fascinating story!
I've read just one of his, the Foundation story he was commissioned. S'pose I should read that time book of his sometime.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch