View Single Post

January 11th, 2013, 13:21
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
But if that's the case, we'd need to develop a very different language to successfully communicate. As is, our language is based on logic
I believe that this might be the clue to the problem, and how it can be solved.

Yesterday I saw a doumentary over Sexuality. One person said that only the so-called "Western" culture managed to make a Science out of Sexuality - something that can be learned at an University.

It is the same culture that is so much based on Logic.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
For instance, I tend to provoke a lot of negative emotions when I communicate online - and yet it has very little to do with who I actually am - or what my intentions really are.
Wording can have a great influence on things. And usually the rather sensitive people have a full grasp at it. At least this is my personal experience.

I once developed the theory of a word not only containing its *literal* maning,
but also what I call an "emotional meaning" or an "emotional image/picture" of the word - which is subconsciously formed in our minds based on childhood-experiences or other experiences we once connected with this work.
(Example : Something tastes bad. An emotional memory is created in the own mind, meaning : "[thing] [is] bad", simply because of its taste. Or, someone hurts his finger with a door. The door gets kind of "emotionally marked" with the "emotion-image/-picture" saying/meaning : "this door = bad/hurtful.)

I fear that the forming of Prejudices works in a similar way.

I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that Marketing used this as a technique I call "Emotional Anchoring". The brand of an item - clothes, for example - get "emotionally bonded" into the own mind, and Marketing people exploit this by artificially create a bond consisting of positive emotions with this brand word/name.

Without knowing, they prove my theory to be true with doing this.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR