View Single Post

January 15th, 2013, 10:58
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Larian can and should be blamed for anyone who quit early. After all, first impressions are important.
Divine Divinity started off a little linear and heavy on the hack and slash, as well, but Aleroth had a few NPCs to interact with, places to explore and a few small quests to give you a better idea of the gameplay. While escaping prison doesn't lend itself very well to quests, IMO Beyond Divinity would have benefited from an encounter like the existential skeletons in the catacombs in Divine Divinity (playing the demo before the game was released, just Aleroth made me want the game; the skeletons made it a day one purchase).

A few are very easy to break as well. For example, objects were arranged as a hint in one puzzle but I had looted them before I realized it was a hint.
I also looted the potions first. Even without the clue I found it easy to figure out the combination.

The whole intent I think was to provide an area to grind XP, hopefully find some decent equipment, trade and learn skills.
The battlefields were intended as an optional area to grind XP, etc. I only visited them for the merchants, predominantly to trade (learned a couple skills, but the trainers in the main game are generally cheaper).

Larian made the terrible design decision to force you to learn skills before they are available to either see or select.
You can toggle the skill window between showing the available skills and showing all skills.

Raze

Dragon Knight