View Single Post

January 15th, 2013, 20:52
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Look at what I say about perceptions about boys in #90. The idea that boys only see sex and cannot control themselves are corrosive to both women and men.
The act of buying or simply providing themselves with the said cultural items is a controlled action. Nothing compulsive.

That's confirmation bias, an attempt to confirm rather than to falsify a theory. From a psychological perspective theories based on confirmation rather than falsification are political rather than accurate. We do not want to look for confirmations to the theory, but dis-confirmation.
No. The establishment of a theory starts with an observation. Noting what is present and what is absent is nothing more than an observation. It has nothing to do with fishing for peculiar pieces of information in order to confirm or infirm something.

Actually it does. Artwork manipulate the irrational realm of the psyche. Art create emotions, test emotions, test reactions etc. Art can thus be idealized and beautiful if it wishes to capture those emotions or distorted and grotesque if it wishes to capture those emotions. What you do here is to suggest that the former is bad but the latter is ok, what does that say about your reaction to beauty or the grotesque? You seem to associate sexual impulses as negative. Why? Do you perceive beauty to be dangerous? Overpowering? Make you lose control?
No. Art is anything and everything. There is no determinism in art. One artist might want to capture the emotions he felt when introduced to grotesque. Another might want to represent grotesque as it is, for the mere sake of representing etc

I quoted Ingre's example which was led to distort what he wanted to idealize.
As an artist myself I exploit what I know about attraction, repulsion and individual differences. Some women are attracted to age and maturity, so that is what I draw, others are attracted to youth and health, so that is what I draw. Some men are attracted to child-like features, large eyes, puffy cheeks, so that is what I draw. Some are attracted by an authority-woman, so that is what I draw.

The Japanese culture with dating games are much more aware about individual differences in attraction which makes your average game present a greater diversity of personalities within both gender, where as Western games tend to be very narrow in how they portray each gender and it have a long history of over-assuming that everyone is equally attracted to the same things.

For example;
Loli: Child-like voice, cheerful, needs protection, energetic, curious
Tomboy: Tough, independent
Mature: Adult, experienced, balanced
Naughty: Teasing, sexually
Alluring Mature: Combination of mature and naughty
Emotionless: Apathic, asexual, distant
Junjou, the devoted: Purehearted, housewife
Meido, the submissive/serving: Maid
Polite: Business-like, hostess, customer service
Shukujo, shikkari, well-composed, lady-like
High-class, upper-class, perhaps spoiled
I dont know how it involves itself in the topic at hand.

The thing is: people want to sell and provide their audience with products to please them.

It pleases the target audience of 'cyberpunk' to see those kind of women. It is not determined by something interior to a cyberpunk universe but by the expectations of the target audience.
It is the author's work to sugar coat and give some kind of justification to see that type of women.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch