View Single Post

January 16th, 2013, 10:02
I'm a bit more optimistic. If there is money in it, it probably can be done - eg the requirement to use Steam could be patched out. There will be a demand for old games as there is now, based if nothing else on nostalgia - eg so many people have played Skyrim, that gives a potentially very large base of nostalgic people to say "hey, I remember that game". So it wouldn't surprise me to still see older games reappear, rendered compatible with modern systems either via patching or emulation.

Where this might become untenable is if the DRM is like Diablo 3, where actual game data is held elsewhere. It might in such cases be uneconomic to try to produce a "stand alone" version of such games, or stream the data when the player base is so much lower. Mind you, Blizzard isn't exactly forward thinking in terms of making money from their old titles, I'd love to replay the Lost Vikings but the only option is abandonware sites. So it might be as much a case of producer/publisher attitude as economics.

coaster

Utarg of Utarg