View Single Post

January 21st, 2013, 12:46
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
For you? Sure, I'll oblige….

Firstly, it's simply the novelty entertainment factor of having such a well known figure in the industry playing a game which arguably one might have thought he'd have already played before back in the day. A celebrity Let's Play concept, if you will. Some people actually like reading about other people's gaming experiences.

Secondly, Chris Avellone is a very well known and respected industry veteran with a noteworthy resume as I'm sure you're well aware of, within our little genre.
Thus, to his fans especially, reading about his reactions, responses and role-playing choices in such a game as Arcanum may actually provide interesting reading (as he's a writer after all) and give that little window of insight into how a developer plays a game.

Thirdly, it's a mechanism within Project Eternity's support base.
Ah, I see.

Well, I was honestly curious about what people see in this kind of thing. I know he's a respected guy - but I fail to correlate that with him playing a game in public being particularly interesting.

I mean, his feedback could be of potential interest - but watching him play the game sounds awfully dull to me, except as a mild novelty for a few minutes.

Typically, when consuming something like a game - your initial and immediate reactions are rarely wholesome or trustworthy in terms of your overall opinion. It takes time to adjust and "get" the whole picture.

So, if he's the average human being I suspect him to be (not derogatory - we're all averaging out) - he'll be caught by early comments that he'll feel the need to defend or support later on - with him being a "gaming guru", and few people can separate their ego from such a thing. That means you won't be getting a genuine response to the game as if he played it in a normal way. I'd expect the whole thing to be tainted.

Then again, I concede that if it was a developer I considered particularly noteworthy - I probably would be more interested. I doubt I'd watch a complete playthrough - but I'd probably be curious as to how he/she would respond while actually playing.

So, thanks for taking the time to answer

DArtagnan

Waste of potential