View Single Post

January 22nd, 2013, 20:58
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. If they have upgradable Nvidia graphics, then they are ok. Most of those crappy Satelites had the shitty Intel. Usually you will pay 700.00 and up for a laptop with Nvidia or Amd cards in them making them a bit more expensive but you won't be playing a guessing game every time you make a game purchase on whether the stuff will play.
The HD3000 and earlier versions of integrated graphics are crap, but I'd say the Intel HD4000 is actually on par with or better than some of the lower end discrete cards. It can run most recent games OK at around 1366x768 or 1280x720, provided you are using a quad core CPU and you have sufficient RAM. (integrated cards use part of your system RAM for VRAM, so the more the better, and the speed of the RAM makes a difference)

For the next generation Haswell intel integrated graphics (launching around May or June I believe), there will be three SKUs, the GT1 (for netbooks and ULV CPUs), GT2 (for dual core) and GT3 (for quad core ). From what I've seen so far, it looks like the GT3 will be able to handle most games at 1080p.

Haswell GT3 running Dirt 3 @ 1080p vs Nvidia 650m

Haswell GT3 running Skyrim @1080p, High

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch