View Single Post

January 23rd, 2013, 17:18
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
I think that the quality of RPGs, to a large extent, depends on the quality of their writing, plot and pacing. Get those wrong and the other mechanics don't really matter. That's the primary reason, I think that Baldur's Gate 1&2 were so good. Am hoping that Project Eternity, which seems promising, doesn't make the mistake of making the story/plot an afterthought, just to fit into their mechanics.
I don't know if I've ever read anywhere of this being done in the order you prefer. Maybe you are aware of some games. But even U7, the unarguably best RPG of all time ( ) was built mechanics-first from what I read about the game while it was being developed back in the 90s.

I do see your point though that there are certainly pitfalls to blindly building mechanics with no substinative thought to story and narrative - most of us here at RPGWatch have certainly played RPGs that fit that bill. But I doubt that decent developers are utterly blind to their story and narrative while developing their mechanics. In fact I'd bet good money that the development of mechanics are often inspired by visions of story and narrative.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch