View Single Post

January 23rd, 2013, 21:12
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I guess CRPGnut argument is that it influenced the game design enough to make it a (subjectively) poorer experience. Where exactly did you feel that was the case, CRPGnut? Which elements do you think suffered from compromises made due to the existence of challenges?
It's been forever since I played it, but let me give you a current thought. Let's say that implementing the various system changes to create and track challenges took X amount of programming time. If that same x was instead used for allowing wide screen formats, this would be a much more welcome addiction. I honestly didn't take notes on what I did and didn't like in Book II, I just remember thinking challenges were silly and a waste of time. Of course, posting all of this is also a waste of time, but there ya go.

It'd be like if Bethesda removed dragons from their game so they could create a scoring system to be posted on a forum Woo, look at me I played a Breton warrior that specialized in two-handed melee even though Bretons make awesome mages and shitty warriors. Yippee! Nerdgasm for the win!

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor