View Single Post

January 23rd, 2013, 23:19
I don't get the impression that the release of the game itself is in much jeopardy.

If anything, this appears to be a fight among the publishers about who gets to enjoy the spoils of the release, and under what terms. Which is certainly backwards from how it usually seems to work.

I'm assuming that when they say "South Park Studios", that we can pretty much replace that with "Matt Stone and Trey Parker", at least in practical terms. Just like they turn to Viacom/Comedy Central to "publish" their cartoon, they turned to THQ to publish this game and handle distribution. It looks like the problem is that by declaring bankruptcy and selling its assets, a new publisher will take over publishing and distribution rights of the South Park IP simply by ponying up enough cash and getting approved by a judge, with no input from Matt & Trey & company. I suspect that doesn't sit well with them, and they want the freedom to go out and find a new publisher themselves, under terms they negotiate.

I suppose it's possible that if things aren't resolved to their satisfaction, that they could simply take their ball and go home and kill the whole game deal, but that doesn't seem likely from folks who actually care about their franchise and want to see this game made. We'll see, I guess…

Fantasm

Watchdog