View Single Post

January 26th, 2013, 13:36
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Though the game is not necessarily based on open world PvP - it's a significant part of it.
Openworld PvP is something I definetly want to skip. It'll be designed without teammembers number control or with duels. In case of first, the team with bigger number of players wins, not the team with more skill. In sesond case, a player will uninstall being utterly annoyed by spammed invites to a duel.

I'd say the sandbox elements are the core of the experience, including stuff like crafting your own house, ship, castle and so on. You can grow your own food and plant trees that actually grow visibly. Stuff like that.
That's hardly new stuff and is a part of a game I've aready mentioned a few times: Wizard101. I should mention that in w101 you may get several different houses/castles, decorate them (decorations are questrewards, bought in stores or mob drops), and outside you can besides piling up those decorations, grow different plants that are when harvested used to feed pets, etc. Maybe I'll try ArcheAge just to see if they managed to make it better than a years old game, but I doubt they did.

Then there's the massive exploration elements both on land and under water. It's probably the most elaborate underwater MMO in existence. You can get stuff like diving helmets with lights so you can explore the deeper areas.
Again, nothing new. I've mentioned wizard101, it has a huge underwater area you have to explore with pretty hard enemies lurking. It doesn't have helmets with lights though.

You can be a pirate and have your own pirate ship - and attack other ships/towns from sea and get a complete Sea Dogs/Pirates! game as well. Resources and the economy is going to play a major role.
Finally something I'm really interested in! I've seen a few attempts of such MMO, I've applied for betatest in new such Innogames browser (flash - so no smartphones!) game, but if they do this right, ArcheAge could be my next MMO.

By the way, the world is really beautiful and the game is running on CryEngine 3.
If I have to choose beauty vs fun - I'll take fun any day. IIRC FarCry3 runs on CryEngine and it's beautiful, but it was so fun that I'd still play it even if it didn't look that good.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor