View Single Post

January 28th, 2013, 12:33
So I suspect I have some minor OCD issues as after posting in this thread I started thinking about installing win8 at home … and the idea became a broken record in my head and the only way to appease it was to try it out

So friday did a CLEAN install since upgrade seemed foolish. I will outline the results below. However I ended up putting win7 back on because I could not get Skyrim to run … and it is the only game I playing now so was kinda pointless having a great gaming rig where I couldn't even play my current game. Will explain after my summary.

PROS:
- Smoothest install for an OS I ever have done. Not only did everything run out of the box (except skyrim) but it properly found all the drivers for all my hardware - something windows 7 couldn't do and I had to have drivers on disk for. It also found updates for my video and sound drivers that matched. I popped in the DVD, ran set up, selected some options and I was ready to go in about 45 minutes (not counting patches afterwards).
- Fast. Boot up times was incredibly fast compared to windows 7. Most programs also started much faster. Photoshop, Adobe Pro, Dreamweaver CS6, full Office - all ran quickly and smoothly.
- Customizable once you find your way around. There is an app to make a "start" menu if you really want it. I just created my own toolbar instead. Ignoring metro I just worked on the desktop.

CONS:
- metro aspects a waste on a PC
- couldn't run Skyrim

Skyrim:
So not sure what the issue is but I suspect it had to do with skyrim being more Dx9 focused then Dx11. Win7 has better Dx9 support then Win8 is my guess based on some web browsing. When I first loaded up skyrim I got an error about a missing DLL file. Searching on it I found it was a Dx one and so I installed the DirectX drivers from MS.

That semi-solved the issue. I was, an hour later, able to run Skyrim VANILLA and ONLY in window mode - which is not very immersive (like watching a movie in a window on your PC versus full screen).

Most mods were okay. However the second I enabled either SKSE or ENB I would get a CTD as soon as I got to the main menu in Skyrim … which is when they load. Disable them and things would run. I suspect it has to do with the fact that they use DLL files.

Some quick searching gave mixed results - some folks said they had problems with SKSE on win8 and other said it worked fine.

Regardless being in IT for most of my life I knew two things 1) Given enough time, research and fiddling I could probably solve all the problems. 2) The time it would take to do so could be anywhere from a lucky web search and a quick fix to weeks of frustration trying tons of solutions.

I spent 90 minutes (was close to midnight at this point and I had been up for 20 hours) searching and all I found was mixed information. So I said screw it, put win7 in, started setup and went to bed.

So staying on Win7 until I am sick of Skyrim Maybe try again this spring, especially if I can find out how to get SKyrim with all its mods, ENB and SKSE aspects working smoothly, and in full screen mode.

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch