View Single Post

February 4th, 2013, 10:46
Originally Posted by sea View Post
More to the point however, the way it allowed you to select multiple story paths, missions, etc. and had lengthy quest chains which were mutually exclusive with each other, then branching quests and arcs, etc. even within them, was very impressive for an MMO, and most single player RPGs are also shamed by that. And frankly, there were very few other games with great stories and writing this year to choose from.
Well, I clearly have a very different concept of great writing than you guys do - and that's quite alright.

I agree there was more branching and more choices than is usual, but I don't agree it amounted to much. Then again, I couldn't stand playing long enough to see any of the conclusions.

To me, branching isn't about writing - but more about a mechanic. You can create elaborate branching with multiple choices, but if the writing in itself isn't good - it all amounts to nothing much. I mean, if the story isn't compelling and you don't care about the characters - why would you care about choice? I don't see that.

That said, we did not have anyone play The Secret World. We didn't receive a review copy or cover the game all that much. Guild Wars 2 was mostly selected because of its innovation within the MMO scene. Maybe The Secret World did some stuff better, maybe it completely clobbered it, who knows? We cannot comment on games our team does not have experience with.
Well, I don't mean to be overly negative. But if you're going to create articles about games of the year - and you're going to include the MMO genre - you really should test the major ones - of which there are very few. I mean, how expensive can it be to buy a boxed version and test for a month?

Anyway, maybe that's just me. But if you don't include a game like Secret World when talking about best writing/story of the year - I don't think it makes sense to even write the article.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential