View Single Post

February 8th, 2013, 04:31
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
vurt, you're nitpicking - it's a fan mod, try it.

Poland is not populated by slaves. Outsourcing stuff to China because one can pay less to workers (and de facto is supporting slavery) is out of the question.

Also it's a mistake to compare artists, we're not talking about cattle here. Either an artist (that includes programmers) is a genius or is just a mediocre copycat. Give a task to two gfx artists, in this case tell them to make Geralt - you'll receive two different solutions. In USA you'll pay for one that cost less as the game will sell anyway and it'll look great when you tell your greedy CEO you got something cheap. In CDPR, it's not the case, you won't care for the price and will pay for the one that looks better. And then your president in Poland will give TW2 DVD as a gift/national treasure to ambassadors and etc.
Where the hell are you pulling that from? I'm referring to the roughly 3:5 cost of living ratio between Warsaw and most US cities which likely informs the salaries involved. How are you getting from that to talking about people like cattle and slave labor? What is wrong with you?

If the salaries in one locale are significantly less then that means that often one can budget more people to spend more time on a project for the same or less than if the salaries were higher. That's not advocating outsourcing, that's speaking to a fact of where they are located now. If you have a problem with salaries in Poland being lower than salaries in the US, I don't really see how that changes what is and isn't true here. They are and because of that expanding staff in a Polish company is likely to be less costly than expanding it in a US company.

All this gets to is that CDPR might not be at quite the same disadvantage in terms of being able to budget a large number of man-hours to a project that it might appear to be to some people. That's not about willingness to fund art or not, its saying that if they only had 2/3 of the total cash on hand to fund development as another company was planning to put into a game that this might not actually equate to less time spent working on it. That they could be wiling to go for broke on a particular project could also come into play, but I really hope they wouldn't burn themselves up over one game because I want these guys to stay in business which requires keeping budgets in check.
Last edited by jhwisner; February 8th, 2013 at 04:52.

jhwisner

SasqWatch