View Single Post

February 8th, 2013, 17:32
Don't listen to anyone that tells you not to play Ultima I, II or III. You can watch the genre evolve before your eyes. However, I wouldn't bother finishing Ultima II.

You can watch as Garriot learns to streamline a game with U3, still my favourite of the bunch - a lesson he forgot in U5. I would also give yourself about 20 minutes on Akalabeth and try out a copy of DnD which Akalabeth is effectively a clone of (with 3D dungeons).

But definitely play BG1&2 - especially U2. You will want to get the patch that skips the intro however, and I recommend doing every sidequest in the game the first time. That is a very, very long game and I can't bring myself to play it again to see what I missed.

I have to start Eschalon II again. Loved the first one but tis been stop and go on the second.

I loved the Might and Magics 1-3 but I'm afraid the cutting edge quality of the games in their time is lost now. Syncing the graphics of a horse eating hay with the clicks of data being read of the floppy drive wouldn't be considered cutting edge in this day and age. I still don't know how they got those amazing textures on the walls with such limited memory back then. Compare it to any contemporary SSI Gold Box game.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch