View Single Post

February 9th, 2013, 19:40
Originally Posted by MigRib View Post
Why trolling? Are there any rules in this forum that we must acclaim every old school game as the work of genius? If there is, my apologies. Otherwise, the radio transmissions sound cool, and (maybe) if they turn those text boxes into voice acting the game will look cool on the whole. By now it seems pretty dull and clearly not an RPG, but strategy with dialogue (like Jagged Alliance). I know it's just a preview, but I was expecting more from some game which has been hyped up since the artwork showing a bearded guy with a cowboy hat was divulged… For me stapling the names Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone to something isn't enough.
Of course I don't know your view on the whole RPG or tactics genre, but from what I have seen in this video I am pretty flashed and think that about everything is as good as it can be - and above my expectations actually.
Turning the text boxes into sound makes it cost a lot of more money and decreases a lot of the flexibility. Therefore for most of the dialogues and especially the flavor texts I welcome the switch to texts as stated in my previous comments. But having texts or voice overs does not make any difference in terms of "is this a good rpg". Some enjoy voice overs (I do mostly) but it limits the freedom a lot technically.
I am not sure why you don't see an RPG here. Maybe because they presented more of the strategy part than the RPG part? Maybe because you enjoy hack and slashing enemies in real time by walking by and don't want to "waste" time with combat? As far as I can judge even the most time in P&P D&D games is "wasted" on combat.
I really don't know what you were looking for. Another Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2?

Edit: To say something about Krater: yeah, it is post apocalyptic but that's it. As killias 2 said it's diablo Clone. And if Diablo is to be called an RPG at all, well, there are also tons of discussions about that alone.
In this regards I would even say that Jagged Alliance 2 is more of an RPG than Krater. Krater lacked of characters you could actually identify with. As it also had a horrible combat system the only good thing about Krater was it's music imho.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor