View Single Post

February 10th, 2013, 09:06
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
For me being passionate always spelled failure online as well as offline. Maybe I do it the wrong way, though, somehow rudely? Who knows. Anyway of course I believe you that it works for you, and if it does it's a viable option.
It depends on your definition of "works". If you mean it makes you a popular person around everyone - then it most definitely doesn't work "online". But that's not my objective - and I consider the notion of being popular around strangers strangely repelling. As for IRL - I've always been a relatively popular person, which is probably because my self-deprecating humor is much more evident, and it seems people can sense that I truly am what I say I am, where I'm encountering massive scepticism online.

But my ultimate objective is to simply speak my mind and share my thoughts. I prefer to provoke a response - rather than say something with so much diplomacy that the message is tainted or halfhearted. So, I always go for the straight-up message, and that does tend to provoke a lot of negative responses. That's the price of being truthful, which I really do believe requires a blunt approach. I know a lot of people disagree and consider themselves truthful - and all I can say is that I'm not seeing it.

I've struggled my whole life to find a way to be truthful and yet not be blunt - and I've failed every single attempt at it. At least, every single time the truth actually meant something.

Isn't what you say the root of the problem with Gaider? You can't be entirely transparent that you're following guidelines (even if they don't exist on paper and you merely know what they are). Can you imagine someone saying "There's stuff I can and can't say", nobody would put much worth into his words after that. At least that's my take on it.

Anyway I can see your point.
Well, what he could do is either resist being a public figure - or he could stop whining and pretend he was always being truthful.

But I'm glad you understand what I mean.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential