View Single Post

February 10th, 2013, 15:35
Having an opinion and not liking something based on that is of course entirely okay and i respect that. Claiming, that a game, that has turn-based tactical combat is therefore NOT an RPG however, is simply brainfart, that shows complete ignorance of the genre's roots.
Oh, yes, I have perfect understanding of the genre's roots. I don't know if you are talking about PnP or just the classics of cRPG. Anyway, I can tell you that I played PnP RPGs for about 20 years (from D&D to Vampire, and including Traveller, CoC, Kult, Underground, Mechwarrior, Pendragon, Aeon Trinity, Vampire, World of Darkness, Conspiracy X, Star Wars, Adventure! and many others I don't remember anymore). I also know the roots of cRPG, as I played D&D inspired games and the Ultima series since pre-adolescence in a ZX Spectrum. Yes, turn-base was the norm in cRPG in the past, and yes, it was a wise decision by that time to adapt the necessarily turn-based natured PnP games. Not anymore. As games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, the Mass Effect Trilogy, The Witcher, Deus Ex and Deus Ex:HR, Alpha Protocol , Dragon Age, Risen, and many others have proved since then, it is not necessary to be turn-based to be a cRPG (in my opinion it is much better not being turn-based, but that's a matter of taste).
As for the second part there's nothing in the history of PnP or cRPG that says that a role playing game is supposed to be based on tactical combats. Absolutely nothing. Many people like to play RPGs like a strategy game, but that is entirely their choice, and they are clearly distancing themselves from the original concept of RPG. By the way, I quote the definition, as stated in The World Darkness rule book:
" Modern roleplaying games grew out of wargames and boardgames when
players wondered what it would be like to play a single individual rather than
a whole army. That was in the late 60s and early 70s. Then, the most successful
roleplaying games were based on fantasy and science-fiction themes.
Roleplaying games evolved as more and more people entered the hobby.
Today's games are more sophisticated than Cops and Robbers, but are based
on the same principles of make-believe. There are various rules to prevent
arguments and to better define your pretend character, and everyone strives
for a sort of immersive, imaginative experience that's more detailed and believable
than anything we played as kids."

MigRib

Watchdog