View Single Post

February 10th, 2013, 21:17
"The example you gave, Hotline Miami, does not help, because, even though I didn't play it (just watched videos on Youtube) I had a hard time believing it was a real game and not a joke, and then was amazed when there critical praise to the game."

I think Hotline Miami is a decent example just because the insanity of the gameplay and the act of repeating a stage over and over to get it -just right- latches well onto the narrative (insanity) and the esthetics (sort of an 80's video game on drugs, with the violence being much more over the top). I mean, once you've played a level 10 times you just reach this point that.. well… I can't describe. You start to lose it. However, to be clear, Hotline Miami is not, in any way, a deep game. It's not a thought-provoking narrative or anything, but it's a decent example of what I think of when I think of games-as-art.

I guess part of what I'm saying is that, in a proper art-game, you wouldn't possibly be able to get the sense of it from watching it being played. The act of playing it should be central to the artistic experience.

In any case, I think we're largely on the same page now.

killias2

Sentinel