View Single Post

February 15th, 2013, 13:31
Originally Posted by MigRib View Post
I will explain better why I pointed this out. It was just the use of the expression "dumbing down". I just think it is being used too much and usually misused (it's not the case here, because Bioshock, as you say, was meant as a spiritual successor to System Shock and, at some point in it's development lost the RPG elements and went to become a shooter - although a shooter with something more than the usual shooters). Again, I also don't like shooters, I don't like Bioshock and I was not contesting your comparison between both (I didn't even know that bit about Bioshock being supposed to not be a shooter at some point). But whenever I read something was "dumbed down" I get nervous - specially because I don't agree with the point of view that the older games were more "cerebral" just because the game mechanics were more complex. Well, they were more cerebral in the arithmetic, management and economics kind of way. Anyway, that's not my kind of cerebral. Deep storytelling was never the biggest thing in videogames, neither in the 80s, 90s, nor nowadays, but that's besides the point.
I understand what you're saying.

Personally, I agree it's an overused expression.

That said, I'm one of those people who spend an unusually large amount of time picking the right words for the right context.

Doesn't mean people will agree - and I do tend to be abrasive and harsh, but the words are very carefully selected.

Bioshock is a very fine example of how dumbed down is most appropriate - at least in my opinion.

But there's a vast difference between a game being "dumbed down/accessible" and the people playing the game being dumb or ignorant.

Some people get defensive when you call their favorite games dumbed down - and I'm not sure that's a very appropriate response.

Also, I DEFINITELY think most games were more "cerebral" in the past - meaning you had to invest more of your brain to succeed in whatever challenges you encountered.

That was just a natural consequence of catering to a less broad audience.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential