View Single Post

February 15th, 2013, 13:48
I understand what you're saying.

Personally, I agree it's an overused expression.

Bioshock is a very fine example of how dumbed down is most appropriate - at least in my opinion.
As I said in my previous post, after reading your reasons to call it a dumbed down version of the earlier game, well in this case the expression "dumbing down" was called for. As it is, usually called for, when people say that for some years mainstream Hollywood productions are dumbed down. Yes, usually they are.

But there's a vast difference between a game being "dumbed down/accessible" and the people playing the game being dumb or ignorant.

Some people get defensive when you call their favorite games dumbed down - and I'm not sure that's a very appropriate response.
True, but not my case.

Also, I DEFINITELY think most games were more "cerebral" in the past - meaning you had to invest more of your brain to succeed in whatever challenges you encountered.

That was just a natural consequence of catering to a less broad audience.
This is the part where I disagree. Well, not quite a disagreement, but I have a different point of view. Maybe some games were more cerebral in the past (certainly not all) but in the way solving equations is a cerebral activity. I like to maintain a healthy cerebral activity, but I would rather read a book than solve some mind puzzles. But those are personal choices, personal tastes.
What really annoys me is the hipster mentality behind the whole "dumbing down" meme in videogames. Gamers always had a special place in their memory for the classics, but on the last few years (2 maybe 3, not sure) things went a little worse. When someone says this or that game is "dumbed down", usually they mean it the same annoying hipster-blasť fashion that could be translated as "that's too mainstream, dude". The same is valid for the love of old school games. Most times someone praises old school games I almost can read between the lines the message "I totally digged that before it was cool". So, that's it. Just one more thing - I certainly am not directing this semi-rant to you. I was just explaining why I don't link the "dumbing down" thing.

MigRib

Watchdog