View Single Post

February 15th, 2013, 22:33
Playing Dead Space 2 - and around 2-3 hours in.

Well… I gotta be honest. This is a LOT better than I remember.

First of all, the controls are much more responsive - and even though the first Dead Space was one of the most polished games I've played - this exceeds it by quite a margin. Everything is smooth and slick as hell.

Yes, there is a great emphasis on shooting - and I'm especially noting a higher creature count. I'm playing on Normal - as I'm mostly here for the story. I played DS on easy, because I already played it once before (on hardest, I believe). I don't know if that's the reason - but it certainly seems like there are more things to kill.

But apart from that unfortunate switch, I'm finding myself extremely impressed by the level design. I just spent about an hour in the Church of Unitology - and it looks better than anything in the first game.

The stasis/kinetic mechanics have both been improved - and I'm finding stasis more useful than ever.

Someone compared Dead Space to Alien and Dead Space 2 to Aliens, and at this point - I'd tend to agree.

I do have a strong dislike for the action set pieces and the annoying mini-bosses, but the sheer power of the setting and the overall care that's clearly gone into creating the levels are outshining the negatives in a big way.

I didn't expect to feel this way, but if the game keeps being this good - it will be superior to the prequel.

I guess it helped a lot to be prepared this time

Makes me really excited to play Dead Space 3 as well!

DArtagnan

Waste of potential