View Single Post

February 16th, 2013, 01:25
Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Thanks for the information on Dead Space 3. Sounds…big! I might wait for the inevitable price drop I think. Care to elaborate more on the aggravating design decisions you mention?
For starters, they eliminated the save system from the previous two games. Now there is no manual in-game saving. There's just an auto-save that overwrites itself at intervals and confines you to a single save slot.

Then there's respawning items. They're not everwhere, but I've noticed them in a few places. You can literally pick up an item, walk out of that room, wait for the door to close, then reenter that room to find another randomly respawned item.

EA apparently refers to this as a "feature" that exist so people don't have to partake in microtransactions. I guess one shitty design decision deserves another.

Then there's my favorite new feature… universal ammo! Yep, whether you're using a plasma cutter, a javelin gun, or an assault type weapon, they all magically use the same type of ammo now.

Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
Seriously though, DS2 on hardcore became quite ridiculous towards the end.
For me there was just too much reliance upon mass mobs and the survival of attrition rather than genuine pacing and tension through gameplay. That said, I did like the otherworldliness of the ending more in the second game.
Why play on hardcore? I think it's important to play at a level that's challenging but not frustrating. Imo, survivalist difficulty presents the best balance in DS2.

JDR13

SasqWatch