View Single Post

February 18th, 2013, 02:32
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Well you could try this if you want to spend close to that. It would be a bit much - could probably spend 20% less on all the most expensive parts and barely notice a difference even in games that won't be out for a year.

That does not include keyboard, mouse, or cables to connect to your monitor - but chances are you already have those and if not the cables at least can be found online for very little. You may want to add a soundcard if you are a bit of an audiophile; if so I'd reccomend one of the Asus Xonar soundcards over much of the Creative lineup. If you're not super anal about your sound though (if you don't already own a pair of Sennheiser or Ultrasone headphones or Shure earbuds then you're probably not) the onboard sound for that motherboard is more than adequate for gaming, movies and music.
$1800 for a pc with only a gtx660 in it is too expensive imo. Also, you recommenced a 2011 motherboard for a 1155 proc.

Anyway I think he wants a prebuilt, but I could be wrong. Fluent can correct me if i'm wrong.

I have no experience with Cyberpower but I wouldn't write them off because someone had a bad experience. do your due diligence and decide for yourself. I 've had bad experiences at walmart, target, bestbuy, amazon etc. etc. If I stopped using them because of a bad experience now and then I'd have no where let to shop.

That said i'm not endorsing Cyberpower either just saying do your own research before going with or ruling something out.

If you are going to build your own and have a microcenter near by, it would be worth checking out they have some of the best prices on procs.

Whether you build or buy I would say go with,

750w PSU minimum— overkill now but wont be in the future.

I5 or I7 ivy bridge— the I5 is probably the more financially sound decision but if you don't care about the price difference the I7 will offer a few more FPS and maybe last a little longer before needing an upgrade. If you build you'll want an after market cooler not the stock one. Ivy brides run hotter than sandy bridge.

I'd go with a gtx670 for video. I like nvidia over AMD simply for the few games that use Physx and better 3D support imo. If you dont care about that theres nothing wrong with AMD.

You'll need a 1155 motherboard. I like Asus but there are many good ones out there. You'll need to do a lot of research to decide the features you want.

I've always bought a discrete sound card and always will, having said that i've heard on board has gotten much better than it used to be.

I wouldn't go SLI unless you understand that some games simply won't work, some will kinda work (texture issues usually) some will work with a lot of research and fiddling and some will actually work right out of the box. In other words if you want SLI be prepared to educate yourself on how it work and be prepared for some frustration.

SSD for bot drive at least 128GB but i'd recommend a 256. then buy either a western digital black 7200 rpm 2TB min for game drive. If you want to spend a little money here you could get a 1TB raptor 10,00 RPM. But then you'd probably need 2 eventually and that would lead to raid which would lead to more educating yourself.

Lastly I'd go with windows 8. I'm sure many will disagree but win 7 won't be getting supported and you'll need to move up eventually. 8's not that bad and with a few tweaks you can forget about metro altogether.

There's really so much to cover one could post forever but there are the basic's according to me anyway.

sakichop

SasqWatch