View Single Post

February 18th, 2013, 04:45
Originally Posted by jhwisner View Post
Yeah I added the wrong motherboard and $1800 for any PC is too much, however since the most likely item to be swapped out in two years time is the video card it actually makes less sense to spend much more money on that than it does on some other components. As far as bang for your buck goes I'd suggest generally spending the difference between a GTX 660 and 670 on a faster CPU instead and considering upgrading the video card at the end of two years.

It won't be getting supported… after 2020 and mainstream support will continue into 2015 at least. Also if its going to be purchased relatively soon, I'd check game compatibility for windows 8 particularly if the user also has several retro games. If they do then it would make more sense to purchase windows 7 now and an upgrade license (which does not require you perform an upgrade installation as opposed to a clean installation) either now or at a later date. This would be especially advisable to consider if purchasing a pre-built PC through a manufacturer which offers discounted windows 8 upgrade licenses to users purchasing new windows 7 pcs (I've seen it for as little as $14.99 as an uninstalled extra.)
Can't argue with that strategy there's definitely more than one way to build a gaming rig. I usually put any extra money in to video card as that yields the most immediate benefit and I know I'll be upgrading both within 2 yrs. I see you added the 2015 extended support. Didn't know about the $15 deal sounds like a good way to go.

sakichop

SasqWatch