View Single Post

February 25th, 2013, 15:11
An interesting article. I have a couple serious reservations about its efficacy, though.

First, it states that business will shoulder the costs. That's fine, except that a fair amount of crime occurs in residential areas with little-to-no commercial presence. The only way around that is some sort of "adopt a neighborhood" plan, and that will automatically result in preferential treatment for neighborhoods with wealth. Thus, the poor neighborhoods will go from "poor protection" to "no protection at all". The expected result of that would be the rise of "militia compounds", basically armed fortresses around the bedroom communities that can afford it. That's not leading to a free society, but rather a collection of fiefdoms. Not good.

Second, there's a big hole in the plan with respect to how these private law enforcement companies will tie into the judicial system. A major component of the basis of our freedoms is the consistency of due process (the cynical among us might question the practical reality of "consistency", but the philosophical ideal and legal structure are certainly in place). Private police will, by definition, serve the desires of their customers. I expect those desires will differ widely between the Hamptons and Compton. While that makes some sense to me, our judicial system cannot and will not support variations in "the law". The expected result of that would be localized courts, working a localized version of the law that matches the desires of the citizens and the procedures of the private police force. Essentially, fiefdoms yet again. That's not good for the country.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer