View Single Post

March 3rd, 2013, 04:02
I've played the game extensively, and it does an awful lot of things extremely well, especially for a first effort of a group of unknown developers in an out of the way place like New Zealand which AFAIK has no game industry history to speak of. These guys really remind of a young Blizzard, when they just knew what to do and how to make a good game. Such companies are extremely rare.

However, claims such as that there is no farming because there is no gold are ridiculous. Farming is alive and well in the game, you simply farm for the currency that exists (the more valuable "orbs"), and/or for desirable unique and rare items that you can trade for such currency. In fact, it is essentially impossible to progress into the highest levels without a significant effort to farm XPs, currency, and items.

I'm also somebody that does not appreciate the barter economy. I like auction houses. I don't enjoy the idea of sitting around town for hours spamming and checking the constant stream of WTS / WTB in the trade chat channel instead of playing. And I don't like haggling over everything. I got my fill of that back in the days of early online RPGs like Asheron's Call and Everquest. Nowadays technology exists for more efficient solutions. The game needs at least some sort of Asian-style personal vendor option where one can quickly buy & sell at specific prices. I realize they'll never add an AH given that was one huge failure of D3 in many people's eyes.

Perko

Traveler