View Single Post

March 3rd, 2013, 13:25
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
ArcheAge looks to be doing that in a smart way, because they retain the themepark elements that will ease people into the experience - but the game opens up as you progress.
It also has the advantage of not having been released over here yet .

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
That said, I do admire certain things about the game. It looks pretty good - and the city designs are fantastic. It does have some great exploration elements - and I love the underwater environments. In fact, the game COULD have been great with some serious design changes.
I agree, the game could have been fantastic. I'm pretty sure I know what happened: Just like Warhammer Online (before EA got their hands on it), the game was originally designed to be unlevelled or at least have very limited leveling, like Guild Wars 1, so that nearly all the content would have been relevant at the top level, sandbox style (and like GW1). However, in the last year or so, they fell victim to Blizzard WoW clone gear grind disease, just like every other MMO after WoW. Due, no doubt, to suit pressure…

And that's really the point I was making in comparing MMORPGs with ARPGs such as Diablo: Leveling and progression are poisonous to long term gameplay in multiplayer games, because they render content redundant after levelling through it and fracture the player base into different level dependent islands. Content wise it's like looking through the wrong end of a telescope, the more you progress the less there is to do.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor