View Single Post

March 3rd, 2013, 16:45
Originally Posted by Roq View Post
It also has the advantage of not having been released over here yet .
Not much of an advantage, from my point of view

I agree, the game could have been fantastic. I'm pretty sure I know what happened: Just like Warhammer Online (before EA got their hands on it), the game was originally designed to be unlevelled or at least have very limited leveling, like Guild Wars 1, so that nearly all the content would have been relevant at the top level, sandbox style (and like GW1). However, in the last year or so, they fell victim to Blizzard WoW clone gear grind disease, just like every other MMO after WoW. Due, no doubt, to suit pressure…
Nah, that's not the vibe I got from them. I think they overestimated their own ability to evolve the basic themepark MMO design and their understanding of the genre. I think their approach is very telling of having huge ambitions without truly having the talent required to pull it off. A good example would be the racial storylines - which were downright horrible and embarrasing.

They were too busy trying to kill what they didn't like about the genre - but it seems to me they completely failed to understand why certain things work and how to improve them, rather than remove them altogether.

And that's really the point I was making in comparing MMORPGs with ARPGs such as Diablo: Leveling and progression are poisonous to long term gameplay in multiplayer games, because they render content redundant after levelling through it and fracture the player base into different level dependent islands. Content wise it's like looking through the wrong end of a telescope, the more you progress the less there is to do.
Nah, I don't agree with that at all.

Also, I think the two genres are vastly different. One genre is focused entirely on progression - and the other is (or should be) focused on social interaction with a lot of players - which should ideally result in a compelling virtual world.

Content will eventually be redundant no matter what you do - and leveling and progression has absolutely nothing to do with content never being able to last. There's no design in the world that can make content last forever.

What you need to do is allow players to create their own content - and make systems where repeating content is not the only endgame activity available to high level players. There's no reason you can't have both levelling/progression and have content be perpetually relevant for all levels of play. You just can't make the process of content repetition the heart of the endgame. That's the mistake.

The reason a themepark is fun is because you share the experience with your friends. The rides themselves are fun for a couple of times and that's it. GW2 expected their rides to be so fun that it would be enough to just let them all be "ridable" at all times with cosmetic rewards. But that's not the direction evolution will go.

Leveling and progression is a natural part of any power fantasy - and that's exactly what RPGs are supposed to be. Taking that away would be completely missing the forest for trees. That's a big reason GW2 is not working as well as it should.

Again, the developers didn't understand the genre and they don't understand why leveling and progression is and SHOULD be an integral part of the experience.

It simply shouldn't be the heart of the experience. The heart should be social interaction and the ability to individually and communally affect the world around you.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential