View Single Post

March 7th, 2013, 00:57
Originally Posted by Bedwyr View Post
I presume that the rights holder/s get the money.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Kostaz View Post
^Regarding this topic, I know it's unrelated but I don't remember it being discussed:
What happens with the sales of games whose developer and/or publisher doesn't exist anymore. I can understand how getting a license to a game works and that the fee paid by GOG is subject to the contractual agreements between the owner of the IP and the various parties involved in developing and publishing but what happens with the dollars earned by the sales?
More specifically, who apart from GOG gets nowadays money from games like PS:T and Fallout? What happens with the Gothics whose publisher has gone bankrupt but the developers still operate?
IP & distribution rights don't simply disappear. They are bought, sold, sub-licensed, etc. There's always somebody willing to buy old IP for a small amount of money.

If a games company goes bankrupt its IPs are sold or auctioned off. See the THQ situation at the moment.
Sometimes there are time limits or certain conditions upon which "the rights" (whatever that specifically means) fall back to the licensor.

PB owns the Gothic brand and all rights for the first Gothic. Whoever sells Gothic 1 made a deal with PB.
Observation tells me that the publishing and distribution rights for G2 and G3 still reside with Nordic Games, who bought them when JoWooD went belly-up. Deep Silver seems no longer involved, although they were co-publisher for G3.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team