View Single Post

March 8th, 2013, 04:27
Lotro is the best MMo that I've ever played, it destroys WoW. That said, like WoW and most mmos, unfortunately it eventually gave in and did 2 naughty things.

A- went free to play
B- Nerfed the living hell out of everything

Now those may or may not be negatives to you. Personally, I consider free to play a mixed bag. On one paw, you get to try out the game and play quite a bit for free and that can be a good thing. On the other, it's like making out w/ a really hot Elven chick that doesnt let you get past 2nd base. You are held back, and that limit affects the game as a whole: it's difficulty, it's community, its leveling speed and mechanics, etc etc.

Whether the nerfing is the direct result of F2P is up for debate, I personally dont know what came first. I just know that whole sections of the game that used to be quite challenging, simply arent anymore. That said, the game is still excellent, and yes it's still challenging, and yes you can still die horribly fairly easily if you dont watch your ass. It's just not as hardcore as it used to be.

But it's definitely the best of the MMOs for story, crafting, the game itself is stunningly beautiful and makes WoW and it's peers look like a fucking joke. My wife is a Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/all-around Tolkien fangirl an fanatic, and she has played the game since release and marvels at how masterfully it adheres to the fiction and actually manages to work the player right into it. So if you love Tolkien, you owe it to yourself to experience Lotro.

Now all that said - This review of Guild Wars 2 by Angry Joe sold us on GW2, and it's installed and character made. I just havent gotten around to playing it yet. Supposedly, it's doing some revolutionary things within the genre regarding questing and grinding, and there's no monthly fee.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom