View Single Post

March 9th, 2013, 02:58
Originally Posted by QuestLord View Post
There has never been a time of less publisher interest and developers have been forced to take independent measures into their own hands more than ever before. All of the major publishers already have their fantasy series and most do not want a competitor of their own series. EA is the only one bold enough to do that with DragonAge but they in no way are going to strike another deal with Richard.

This statement is just wrong my friend.
Thank you for taking the time to write a reasonable response. Now I understand where you are coming from. I have much the same opinion as yourself, except with one major difference. From the KS video to me it looks like a game that is well into development and also very generic hack and slash crpg ala Divinity/Risen/Witcher except ONLINE and with monetization. I see nothing deserving of Kickstarter. It certainly doesn't look like a spiritual sequel to the Ultima games which is what the title sounds like to me. If it was I would throw a significant amount of money at it. Again, I want to stress this is all my opinion and if there is an update with alays my fears then I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I would really like to know though, what from the KS page is convincing people to pledge.

Originally Posted by rune_74
Problem is, I did comment on what you wrote and why I thought you were wrong. You ignored that.
I didn't get around to responding to you yet

Originally Posted by rune_74
I don't get where you think they would get anyone to publish the game when even by the early videos it clearly is not a social game. I get that the developer generally makes social games but that doesn't make them exclusively that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you were ok with obsidian getting funding? How is this any different?
It has social aspects to it but I agree it is clearly not a social game. To me crpgs are a something I like to enjoy personally and out of prinicpal I do not support the social aspects of gaming. Also, as I said above to me the game looks well into it's development cycle and the information on the kickstarter page did just not resonate with me and some of the text seemed to contradict what was shown in the video. If he is throwing around words like Vitues and Avatar it had better be a spiritual successor to Ultima in my book Again though, nothing would make me happier if it does turn out the way I dream a modern day take on Ultima 7 would be.

I funded Obsidian for 2 reasons. Firstly based on their previous games - Yes, Richard has made some of the greatest games ever but it was a team effort and I know Obisdian has the team to do it and I'm not so sure about Portalarium. Secondly the PE KS page really struck a cord with me - it just sounded right. I can't put my finger on it but I am confident I am going to get a faithful reproduction of an old school crpg game using modern technology.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch