View Single Post

March 10th, 2013, 11:31
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
Skyrim obviously presents the questlines better (MW is limited here for a number of reasons, technology and manpower included). MWs presentation is mostly text-only, similar to the stories of the secondary locations in Skyrim.
Yup.

I think Skyrim would be superior IF the radiant quests were more interesting, as things stand the padding hurts the guild questlines.
The radiant quests are just a little added spice to make the game last potentially forever. It's NOT the heart of the quest experience. Expecting these semi-generated quests to be really interesting ON TOP of the hundreds of scripted quests is a bit much.

And parts of the Civil war questlines are pretty dull. Attack fort X. Yay.
Agreed, not at all my favorite part of the game. Quite boring, really.

Language disclaimer: We might refer to different things by "building blocks".

My sample size is limited since I stopped playing Oblivion after about 40h (far less than the other TES games).

One concrete example of what I mean would be the Ayleid (?) ruins I went to that used recombinations of the same segments. I remember "U-shaped" corridors that would look identical, with the same nooks and crannies, and monsters placed in the same spots. This also happened with some caves. This happened in MW as well, but I didnt get the same "in your face" sensation from it.
Well, I played Oblivion for at least 100 hours - but I never really got that sensation. But, to be fair, I tended to avoid dungeon crawling after a while - because I found them really, really boring. Unlike Skyrim, Oblivion dungeons seemed to exist for no reason - and only a few of them had something truly unique about them. The very first Ayleid ruin you normally explore had a bit of lore and a book related to the bandits occupying it - but it turned out to be the exception.

Main quest locations didnt suffer as much from this IIRC, but that goes for Daggerfall and Morrowind as well.
Well, I'm not saying Oblivion is all that much better than Morrowind in that way. Though I probably think the Oblivion Dark Brotherhood questline is the best in the entire TES series.

Bleh, you just admitted that your "data" is just as anecdotal and subjective as anything we come up with. It should be easy to load up the MW construction set and compare a bunch of mines or whatever to see similarities.
Yeah, and that's why I said we must have played different versions of the game. Obviously, I'm not being serious about that. It's just that our subjective observations are extremely different.

If you feel like installing both games and loading up the construction set and doing a fair and thorough objective step-by-step analysis of, say, 20 dungeons or so - go right ahead.

I don't have the stamina for it.

It's not just a matter of loading it up and looking for 5 minutes, because we'll be right back to arguing why it's unique or not unique.

The elevated "caged walkways" (my English is insufficient to describe them) are the most sources of this feeling. They might not be quite identical, but why do these industry-style catwalks show up in a Norse setting?
Well, that's an entirely different problem. If you're targeting a lack of realism in a fantasy game related to construction paradigms - I'm not going down that path.

I'm fully convinced we could find a zillion examples of unrealistic designs in all TES games.

But, there's no doubt that Skyrim dungeons felt similar after a while. I explained that already. When you have a limited amount of assets to work with - there's only so much you can do to make every single location feel unique.

All I'm saying is that Skyrim is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Morrowind in that specific way - for me.

I could still go back and play Skyrim and enjoy any random dungeon I stepped into - because I know I'd find SOMETHING unique about it. The thought of booting up Morrowind and exploring a dungeon makes me queasy, really. Especially if it's a mine.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential