View Single Post

March 10th, 2013, 21:22
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
There's probably a bit of "I'm so cool cos i played Planescape" going on too. I know this cos I wish I could say I liked it, as I do every other infinity engine game, but it was really just not all that good or I'd have made it through without getting bored.
If admitting you have a man-crush on a 14-year old cRPG that utilized a bastardized version of 2nd Ed. AD&D rules makes you cool than move over James Dean 'cause I'm ready for my close-up. I don't think there's any bragging or show-boating going on, nor do I discount the MANY people out there who also couldn't look past the heavy focus on story and lackluster focus on combat. And, yes, as a lover of the game I can admit the combat was fairly mundane.

Video games are subjective. There are some people out there who, for instance, absolutely LOVE all things Ultima. However, the whole Lord British "I made a game about myself and my D&D buddies" thing has always been a turn-off to me that I can't seem to look past. With the exception of Black Gate, of which I played a fair amount, I don't particularly enjoy any of those games. And yet, for many, those are top-shelf for the genre.

But please don't discount my gushing over Planescape as some phony attempt to prove that I'm too cool for school… because I'm not. I'm very uncool and pretty proud of that actually.

Falchor

Watchdog