View Single Post

March 10th, 2013, 22:20
Originally Posted by MigRib View Post
If I enter a forum about cRPG where almost everybody loves the classics (or, at least, claim to love the classics) then I will not be accepted as one them. I'm not saying that this is your case, but it might be case of many. The acceptance factor.
Completely understand… but one of the things that's nice about RPGWatch (as opposed to some of those "other" cRPG sites) is you have every right to slag one of the popular old-school games if you really feel strongly about it and can back it up with real data points, like "shoddy combat, non-memorable characters," etc. And some games, frankly, just don't work for all gamers in the same way some movies don't work for all movie-goers. For example, I happen to love "13th Warrior." I've seen that movie far too many times than I care to admit and yet I know it was universally trashed by critics. I also hate the critical darling "American Beauty" with a red-hot passion and will never understand the love thrown that movie's way for as long as I live (same with "The Departed"). And yet I run into people who love American Beauty and I have to outline my reasons for disliking it, all of which I think are valid.

So, games like movies, are just… subjective. If your reasons for disliking something are meaningful and amount to more than just "I don't want to get on the cool kid bandwagon" then I don't see any reason you can't loudly proclaim "Planescape: Torment, while a classic for some, didn't float my boat and never will."

Falchor

Watchdog