View Single Post

March 11th, 2013, 01:22
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
I think you are over simplifying what they are planning to do.

I'm curious, I'll bite…which comments?
I could give you the juicier quotes, but, to be fair, they contradict themselves a lot. The earlier comments tend to be more alarming, while the latter tend to be murkier and more confusing. It almost sounds like they went into politics mode, but that's obviously a loaded interpretation. For example, they clearly state that the game will have microtransactions multiple times early on, then saying the game wouldn't have "social microtransactions" later. Is the social signifier significant here? Who knows.

Just read the whole set and get a sense yourself. There aren't that many really.

Edit: Just to prove I'm not entirely pulling out of my ass, a few early quotes:
" Michael, While there will definitely be some micro-transaction options, none will be required. We're also not looking to follow the "Social" trend of making the game super painful unless you pay or sell power so that you can only compete if you spend tons. We're selling the game up front and you will be able to play through the single player experience without spending a dime. We're strong believers in the golden rule that if you're going to do micro-transaction, you don't sell power but rather uniqueness (visuals, fun stuff!) and convenience. We will have some ongoing server costs and plan on keeping the content flowing even after launch so micro-transactions will be aimed at those goals. Richard is a huge believer in what he refers to as a "fair shake" when it comes to that kind of stuff and it is definitely an area where we will be looking for lots of player feedback on what feels fair during the alpha and beta. - Chris"

" @Christopher, as much as possible for the single player, we're keeping server chatter to a minimum. We don't want to pay for bandwidth or servers to talk to players any more then necessary! Most of the elements that require server talk are player to player transactions and micro-transactions which aren't going to come up much if you're playing single player. One of the toughest questions we wanted to bring to the community is what people thought about splitting your single player and online characters completely. A lot of really smart guys around here have debated the pluses and minuses and a lot of it comes down to how connected we want people to be while playing. If we make that split, then it frees us up to trust the client (because we don't care if you cheat in your local game since it is your loss). We could really get close to a "just for patches" connection if we were willing to accept that split. It is a really hard decision and one we've been talking about. We're just trying to make sure we're not just listening to a few people who are talking the loudest and instead listening to what most people want. I have a feeling this will be a huge topic in the coming weeks so no worries, it won't vanish off the radar and we're determined to give people what they want as long as it doesn't grossly impact other elements or dev time. -Chris"

killias2

Sentinel