View Single Post

March 11th, 2013, 23:40
I think in general, there's a bit of snobbery here about turn-based old school RPGs. I tend to agree with much of what MigRib has said about gaming. I, too, tried FO 1 & 2, but also much prefer FO3 and FO:NV. And I'm a 65-year-old geezer.
I started playing cRPGs back in the early 80s when I worked for CDC in Minneapolis. Games like 'Labyrinth', 'Moria', 'Oubliette', and many other knock-offs of PnP games. There was even a 'Star Trek' game I played from home over a modem with a thermal paper printer. Went through many rolls of that stuff. I played 'Baldur's Gate', 'Icewind Dale', and many others. But I grew frustrated with the glacial pace of game play at times. Fumbling endlessly with Inventory and Combat choices and whatnot. I just wanted to get on with it. That's why, to me, the Gothic series and others in that vein were so attractive. I don't care for FPSs or games like Diablo or its Hack 'n Slash clones.
To me, the Gothics, FO3, FO:NV, Skyrim, and The Witcher hit the sweet spot. Even the craptacular Two Worlds was good, except for the atrocious dialog. Again, this is entirely a personal thing.

Zephyr

Sentinel