View Single Post

March 12th, 2013, 02:59
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
There are some irrational U7 fanbois here. Probably looking through nostalgic rose-colored glasses. If they try it today, they'd probably have other ideas.
I was quite late to the party. My first Ultima experience was through Ultima Collection, but back then I could not get Ultima 7 to run (and Ultima 8 ran poorly). It was not until Exult reached a playable state that I was able to actually play Ultima 7 properly.
And I'm still a big fan of Ultima 7. I won't argue with anyone who claim that Ultima 7 has a clunky interface or horrible combat, because truth of the matter is that Ultima 7 has its fare share of flaws, some are quite major (combat is about as bland as it gets). The thing that makes me love Ultima 7 is the world, and the NPCs that inhabits it. It feels so "alive", and most NPCs have so much more personality than NPCs in most other CRPGs. Had it not been for this, Ultima 7 would not have been a very memorable experience.

And I did finally beat Ultima 7 (part 1 & 2) not too long ago (after I joined this forum), so my memories of the games are quite fresh.
I would by the way not recommend playing it without Exult (part 1 at least). That key ring makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

And my opinions on Ultima 6 would probably be vastly different if:
They had dropped the text parser and instead given that screen space to the tiny viewport
Made nights & dungeons less dark (or if they had removed the need for torches altogether)
Made looting objects stacked on top of each other less of a pain

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch