View Single Post

March 13th, 2013, 03:58
Nice article!

The Skyrim debate and the user comments on Skyrim are very interesting. I think Skyrim is a very good game although I've never played it personally. But there are some conflicting thoughts I've noticed on many message boards.

A few comment that the story writing in rather poor in Skyrim and the NPCs are not very memorable because ultimately it's about your character in the world crafting his/her story and exploration. Then others comment that there is no story to craft: you embark on cookie-cutter quests, kill bandits and watch your stats go up which is exactly what most MMOs are. Some love the lore, some say there really isn't much lore. Some say there are tons to do, some say the game is wide as an ocean but with the depth of a puddle. Interestingly enough, many of these criticisms are from fans who have played the game for hundreds of hours.

I guess, in hindsight, it's much easier to see past the mad hype and see TES games clearly. They are very good RPGs with emphasis on open world exploration and character customization. They do some things very well and some not so much. What these things are totally depend on the player.

For what it's worth, I think the TES series is a tad overrated but still deserving of praise.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch