View Single Post

March 13th, 2013, 17:17
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder… to expand the market to a younger audience and thereby make money, will KS projects need to be adopted to portables? I know that games written for portables don't appeal to some here and hence may not be good for the initial KS funding drive, but perhaps allowing for a post-release port will be a business necessity?
Well one advantage they have from having relatively modest budgets is that the system requirements on most of the projects, the rpg ones at least, aren't so steep as to preclude being ported to mobile devices and tablets particularly as subsequent generations come out. The trick there will be with the control schemes; with turn based games though that seems at least plausible for tablets without having to *completely* rework all aspects of the UI.

The other advantage most of the projects I've been following have is that they tend to be using Unity as their engine. This makes the prospect of subsequent versions being made available on a wide range of platforms less of a challenge. The tools included also make the task of recreating the UI got those platforms less of a significant barrier as it does offer rather robust features for easily creating distinct and fully functional UIs for each platform.

jhwisner

SasqWatch