View Single Post

March 13th, 2013, 22:46
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Yeah, and that's why I said we must have played different versions of the game. Obviously, I'm not being serious about that. It's just that our subjective observations are extremely different.
Fair enough, I have no problem whatsoever with that. I'm not even sure that our experiences are all that different. I have no problems pointing out a ton of flaws in Morrowind, Baldur's Gate or other games on my top ten list. I dont care much for nostalgia either, I have no problem recognising that primitive technology means that many older games lack elements that we consider essential today.

I also quite enjoy Skyrim (or I would have stopped playing it), but I have become more jaded and cynical when it comes to looking at games, and I do see that all the top devs (Bioware, Bethesda, and PB for me) tend to cut similar corners through every iteration of whatever franchise they peddle at the moment.

Bethesda recycled crappy Morrowind guard voice acting in Fallout 3 (!), Bioware recycled dungeon maps in anything from Baldurs Gate to Mass Effect, etc…

Morrowind is clearly an older generation than Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim (which all saw improvements on their predecessors, and I consider both FO3 and Skyrim pretty good games).

People going on about it being a better RPG are dreaming sweet dreams of nostalgia from a time when they had the imagination to pretend they were actually roleplaying. The advances that Skyrim has made since then are ABSURDLY obvious to anyone actually perceiving reality.

Morrowind had better exploration? Are you kidding me? That has got to be a joke. Morrowind was more immersive? Ok, look up the word immersive and try again. Everything that isn't "unique" in Skyrim was ten times less unique in Morrowind.
Stuff like the above quote seems pretty darn condescending though, and hypocritical as well when it (technical aspects aside, but I dont think you or anyone else considers that the sole factor in determining the better RPG) boils down to a "for me" qualifier.

Going by the rest of the thread and past discussions I dont think I'm the only one to be rubbed the wrong way by this style either.;-)

Zaleukos

Bum